Pages

Less Sugar, More Fruit & Veg!

Tuesday, 25 May 2010

Firstly I'd like to apologise for my lack of entries. Sorry Najma & viewers.

I recently lost my work folder which was more annoying than anything else & it life me a bit down-hearted. But thankfully I found it again - a week later - in exactly the same classroom I'd left it in! I hadn't realised how much I was relying on paper though..

Ok, to the article. Last year I was involved in a Community Day project for a local school I work for, Mulberry Schoool for Girls, in the Tower Hamlets area of East London. The following images are from that day.

I was given ample space to freely display & advertise my work, on behalf of the school, & engage the local community into pursuing free activities. Here is some of the work I did. But I'd like to dedicate this article to the singularly most helpful, selfless & thoughtful person I have met since I have moved to the big city - Sabina Khan, my employer.

I have found it quite hard here & though people are generally 'nice' it all comes across too shallow & superficial. It's like everyone is afraid of something. Maybe outsiders like me?! But Sabina has been exceptional & it has been so easy to work with her. Thank you Sabina.



A Bouquet. This vase of flowers was made up of various fruits & vegetable. We have butternut flowers, with globe radishes, the vase if from Ikea(!) & is filled with alternating discs of oranges & limes. Another online inspiration.


Triple Marvel. This next image has a papaya in the foreground, which got badly bruised in transition, a honeydew in the centre & a watermelon in the background. The honeydew was my favourite in this because I carved a flower on the other side, hollowed out the middle & filled it with fresh flowers.




Cantaloupe Rose. For this I thought simple was best. The cantaloupe is my most favourite type of melon - for eating as well as carving. I love the smell & colour!!

Frankenstein's Bird. This was sort of a last minute addition to my table, to sort of fill up the space. I wasn't too impressed myself, you'll notice that it is made up of different (leftover) bits! But people liked it & I got a lot of sign-ups & interest for my class.

I will be involved in the next Community Day for Mulberry school in July - so hopefully I can surpass myself. I'll let you know.







2 comments:

Shamsun & Najma said...

hey shamsun I love the title of your post, very clever lol!

Anonymous said...

Aloha from Hawai'i! I randomly stumbled upon your blog, and WOW, I am so impressed by your carving skills! We have lots of papaya and seasonal melons and other fruits here so I'm excited to try some beginner techniques. Mahalo for sharing.

 
◄Constellation Creations. Design by Pocket►